In 2024R1 and earlier I have been using the service fromMarkDownURI to include Markdown files in my M2DOC reports, but I can't get it to work in 2024R2. Can anyone confirm that that service is no longer included?
Regards,
Mattias
Hi Matthias,
I cannot confirm yet but with 24.2 we had to exclude a few m2doc plugins because they introduced a lot of dependencies which we cannot ship (e.g. JDT etc). That excluded a number of service (e.g. the prompt service) which we tried to replicate with own implementations. Anyway, seem that the M2DocWikiTextServices - M2Doc is affected too? We need to find out in which plugin that service is offered.
Regards
Jan
The package seems to be org.obeonetwork.m2doc.wikitext (if I'm interpreting this correctly):
M2Doc/plugins/org.obeonetwork.m2doc.wikitext/src/org/obeonetwork/m2doc/wikitext/services/M2DocWikiTextServices.java at master · ObeoNetwork/M2Doc · GitHub
It's still contained in my medini installations (including 2025 R1 beta).
Mattias, which error messages do you get? Do you have a sample M2Doc command?
I also found out that the WikiTextService seems to be included in the installation and my trusty JD-GUI (Java Decompiler) showed that the function call should be identical as in previous releases. Hmmmm....
The error message I get is "Couldn't find the 'fromMarkdownString(java.lang.String) service". I also tried fromMarkdownURI with similar result.
Maybe it doesn't register as a service, somehow?
Thanks Nils and Mattias,
with this information I may try myself in a quick debug session... we actually did not change the service registraton procedure, strange.
I think I found the root cause: in 24.2 we had to remove a few bundles from the target platform because they were dragging a lot of unwanted dependencies to eclipse, namely all m2doc plugins that had .ide the suffix. They for example dragged the JDT which we definitely want to get rid of. We filed a defect in the m2doc project on github, asking to change that dilemma, see Removal of jdt dependency from org.obeonetwork.m2doc.ide.ui · Issue #522 · ObeoNetwork/M2Doc · GitHub . The bug was meanwhile fixed but we are not yet using the latets m2doc version with the fix.
Root cause is IMHO that the class is defined in org.obeonetwork.m2doc.wikitext but the configurator (the class that registers the service in the m2doc environment) is in org.obeonetwork.m2doc.wikitext.ide.
I will check whether we can improve for 2025 R1.
Mattias,
we digged a bit deeper to understand, especially because the required bundles .wikitext and .wikitext.ide are in the product and found he following: there is an extension point in m2doc.ide that is used to contribute more services. Also the wikitext service is using that extension point. However, the extension point is never evaluated because m2doc.ide is not activated, it is only activated when the first class of that bundel is accessed (no auto start). I assume that this was done befoe in 24.1 by ide.ui which we had to remove. We will fix it with 25.1 for sure. For 24.2 we have this workaround:
Edit the file Program\configuration\org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator\bundles.info of the installation directory and look for the line with plugin "org.obeonetwork.m2doc.ide,3.3.2.202312041107", and replace "false" at the end by "true", and restart medini. This will ensure plugin org.obeonetwork.m2doc.ide is properly started (by default it is not, as no class from this bundle is ever accessed.
Maybe you can try that. It is not nice but the only thing I can offer.
Happy Reporting
Thank you for finding a solution!
I wonder if it was intentional to remove the built in JavaScript editor? I haven't been able to use it in 2024R2. Thankfully it is possible to use external editors like Notepad++, but I actually liked the built in editor as it had good automatic indentation.
I also miss it :-( there were similar reasins for dropping the editor, please check Upcoming changes with 2024 R2 : Ansys medini analyze Support .
However, it should be possible to install the editor via an update site, I think from here: Eclipse Web Tools Platform (WTP) Downloads
Happy Scripting
Jan,
This is impacting our use of the reporting feature as well. Will the bundle be renabled in a future release?
The ability to use add formatting to the text fields in the tool can be used to provide clarity in the reports without needing to resort to hand editing the reports. Thus, I hope this is addressed in the next release.
Thanks,
Erik
Hello Erik, of course it will. We just finished the work for 2025 R1, which is our next release. The issue was addressed there and the services should be available again.
Hi,
the issue has been fixed in the recently released version 2025 R1 of medini analyze.
Olaf.