Discussions
Categories
Groups
Documentation
Knowledge base
Developer portal
App catalog
The Hub
GitHub
Home
Newly Imported
User Forums
How it Works
Compare & Merge:merge subtree restriced by filter
medini_1063548292
Hello, I would like to clarify the Merge Sub-tree changes ,especially how it is impacted by difference kid filter in Difference browser, My goal was to merge sub-tree changes but only additions /modifications, excluding deletions. Something similar as available in the Merge-all changes dialog. Example I expected that there would different merge result for below cases: As it seems the Merge sub-tree changes ignores a filter in the Difference browser . thus it is not possible to exclude some merge operations as possible for merge. Is this observation correct? If yes would it be possible to extended the behavior of Merge sub-tree changes with advanced merge options and not merging everything in Force overwrite ? Thanks, Marian
Find more posts tagged with
medini
medini legacy
Accepted answers
medini_1024169437
Yes, thats indeed the case at this moment, selection is not considered. Enhancement would be to offer that in a sub-menu and then honor the selection. Jan
All comments
medini_1024169437
Yes, that's correct. The tree is a little beast and "Merge Subtree" is a monster. For that selectively merge we have introduced that "Merge All Changes" aka "Reintegrate" function: There you can merge only additions. But not for a subtree :-( Jan
medini_1024169437
I think the enhancement would be to allow the "Merge All Changes" wizard also on subtrees.
medini_1063548292
Hi Jan, just to confirm the "Merge all Changes " currently ignores the selection and performs the merge all on the project scope right ? Marian
medini_1024169437
Yes, thats indeed the case at this moment, selection is not considered. Enhancement would be to offer that in a sub-menu and then honor the selection. Jan
medini_1063548292
Jan, maybe a goal and reason why I asked-this. the goal is to allow better template maintenance ... handling of template's: confusing folder -> using Synchronize Documents Project settings -> Mission profiles , constraints catalogs , profiling,... Basically the simpler compare and merge with focus on the project configuration related data. It would be less demanding comparison, faster and especially no need to explain users to ignore everything except two compare scopes:) P=I tried using Import Project Settings but this one is limited to constraints, profiling, Driving sit catalogs. and it already has same interface like the Merge All Changes... So I do not know which one would be better/easier for enhancement Import Project settings / Merge All in Difference Browser. Marian
medini_1024169437
Thanks Marian for clarification. The "Import Project Settings" was more or less our first attempt to offer specific fine grained merge options but was not continued and extended because we decided that the merge tree is the ultimate way to merge stuff. We now decided (and implemented) the "Merge All Changes" for any selection in the diff tree and will release it with next major version which is 2026 R1. Jan
medini_1063548292
Great to hear Jan! Thanks for the the short MTTF) I kind of figured it that it was the first trial as I saw the dialog UI
To be honest what I liked about the idea was really limited comparison scope ( project settings/config) which is very handy when it comes to template maintenance and updates on real projects. The comparison was veeeery fast in contrast when comparing populated project wit maaany elements and been causing us a bit of headaches for server projects ( time-outs , premature edit lock release..) Marian
medini_1024169437
I absolutely agree with that analysis and ... maybe we could bring at least the comparison of settings back as typically settings do not have dependencies to other changes (which is one of the reason why we do not support scoped comparison yet). Let me take this back to the team. Jan
Quick Links
All Categories
Recent Posts
Activity
Unanswered
Groups
Help
Best Of