Discussions
Categories
Groups
Documentation
Knowledge base
Developer portal
App catalog
The Hub
GitHub
Home
Newly Imported
User Forums
How it Works
Different traces between model browser and diagram itself
medini_1053080245
Hello, We recently discovered inconsistencies between people on my team that use the trace differently to link a Safety goal to a FSC diagram. Some of them click on the SG in the model browser, and then set the trace to the FSC diagram using the traces option in property view (bottom left commonly) Some of them open the FSC diagram and click somewhere in the diagram (where it is blank) and do the same with the traces option in property view Both have the same name in the property view: the name of the diagram. But it seems it points to different element (e.g. you can create different trace for both) Why? It is confusing to not have the same properties when we access to the diagram differently! Thx in advance
Find more posts tagged with
medini
medini legacy
Accepted answers
All comments
medini_1023909254
Hi Romain, first of all: Why do you want to create traces between Safety Goals and Diagrams at all? ... This would be a trace between a (semantic) model element and a visual representation. Concerning your question: When Selecting something in the Model Browser (e.g. a Safety Goal but also a Diagram), the properties view for the selected Element is shown and you can create traces here from SG to diagram or from diagram to a SG in a consistent way. When a diagram is open and you click on an empty space in the diagram, the properties view of the Model to which the diagram belongs to is shown (with some additional entries w.r.t. the diagram). If you create a trace to a SG here, the trace will be between the SG and the requirements model to which the diagram belongs! This behavior is consistent over all different diagrams in medini (e.g. also for SysML diagrams or FTA diagrams) and is intended to have a quick access to the properties of the diagram's model. Eckhardt
medini_1053080245
Thx for your answers. I will then limit the procedure to the first one internally. To answer to your question about the why: this is for birt reporting. I use then this trace to loop on SG list and display associated FSC diagram(s).
medini_1023909254
Ah, I understand. But you probably clutter your project with traces which are only there for reporting issues. Anyway, 2 years ago we had another article in the forum which was the definition of a property which points to all diagrams on which an element is visualized - may be that helps here (and completely removes the need for additional traces). See
https://medini.freshdesk.com/a/forums/topics/1000103545
Eckhardt
medini_1024169437
Romain, in addition to what Eckhardt said, I failed to reproduce your scenarion to the full extend, if I create a trace from browser, thats okay, but when I create a trace from the diagram, it does not show me the same name. I sed sysml but that should be the same: Could you confirm that it is different in your place? Jan
medini_1053080245
Ok for trace between element and diagram (as you did) the 2nd way I had experimented was (when diagram is opened), to click somewhere in blank part of the diagram and then set the trace in the properties window
medini_1024169437
I think I understand now better: when clicking in the white area of a diagram, actually the "canvas" elements of the diagram is internally selected and reflected in the properties sheets, that is for example the top level model (requirement model) or - if the diagram is inside of an element - that element. So creating a trace there will trace the goal model. The property sheet correctly shows the name of the model, not the diagram name but a diagram icon. If now both name are the same, user may get confused. That's the issue, right? Jan
medini_1053080245
Yes tha's exactly the issue ;-)
medini_1024169437
Romain, I hesitate to file a defect for this. Is that okay? Issue clarified and ok? Jan
medini_1053080245
Now i know hot it works it is no more an issue for me, but it requires maybe a clarification somewhere (or a correction)
Quick Links
All Categories
Recent Posts
Activity
Unanswered
Groups
Help
Best Of